I’ve been trying to figure out how to stream video/audio to Twitch or YouTube using a piece of software called OBS – short for Open Broadcaster Software. It’s a super powerful piece of software that’s absolutely free to use. Pretty incredible. But most of the users seem to be Windows based and so there isn’t as much documentation/tutorials on the Mac side.
What I’m trying to accomplish is this:
- Send video and audio of a game (Minecraft) to Twitch.
- Send video from my Logitech C920 webcam to Twitch.
- Send audio from my Heil PR40 mic attached to a Onyx 1620i mixer to Twitch.
- Send audio from a Discord or Skype call with a friend to Twitch.
All at the same time.
If you check out my Twitch channel, you should be able to see a few videos there showing what I mean. I seem to have gotten the first 3 items working ok – it’s just when I add in an audio call with someone that it breaks down. The audio call works fine and I can hear them, they can hear me. I just can’t get their audio to be piped through to OBS and out to Twitch/YouTube.
Screenshot of OBS and Other Software Settings
Links to Software I’ve Tried
- iShow U Audio Capture – free and seems to work except for the last issue.
- Sound Siphon – this seems to work ok except it doesn’t seem to quite work.
- Loopback by Rogue Amoeba – They were very helpful in attempting to figure out some of my issues. It didn’t seem to help and for $75USD (currently over $100CAD), it seemed unlikely to be helpful in my situation.
- Audio Hijack by Rogue Amoeba – is what I might try next if I can’t figure out a way to get iShowU Audio Capture to play nicely with everything else. Audio Hijack would also give me the benefit of being able to record my audio in case I wanted to do an audio podcast with whatever I’m streaming.
- Wirecast would likely work and probably take care of it all for me. But it’s $495USD (almost $700CAD) and this is a hobby for fun. 1
Hopefully someone can chime in in the comments below with some suggestions. Or let me know if you have questions about using OBS, Audio Hijack, or any other streaming on a Mac issues. I might not get my issue solved but at least we can help each other figure this stuff out.
If anyone at Wirecast wants to talk sponsorship ideas, I’m all ears! ðŸ™‚↩